What is a Level 3 Survey?
This survey offers an extensive inspection of property condition and gives detailed information about the structure and fabric of the property. It is the highest level of non-invasive survey that surveyors usually carry out during the home-buying process. It is suitable for all properties but is often most applicable for older or more unusual properties, or properties where problems are suspected.
A Level 3 Survey includes a thorough inspection and detailed report of a wider range of issues, a description of visible defects and potential problems caused by hidden flaws, an outline of repair options and the likely consequences of taking no action, and guidance for legal advisers, as well as details of serious risks and dangerous conditions.
Level 3 is recommended for large, older or rundown properties, buildings that are unusual or altered, and properties that will be subject to major works. These factors can be especially important for pre-war properties, or those that may have been affected by events such as flooding. A BCR Accompanied Inspection can be added to the service to discuss matters raised in the report.
You will understand any risks or unforeseen expenditure before you commit to the purchase.
- Building condition and defects
- Structural movement
- Damp, rot and woodworm
- Heating, water and electrical services
- Matters for your conveyancer to pick up
What does a Level 3 Survey Cover?
Your Level 3 Survey offers a comprehensive and easy to follow report about the condition of the property you are purchasing putting you in a stronger position to make the right decisions and to renegotiate the agreed sale price with the seller.
The valuation carried out by your lender is for their purpose only and to satisfy themselves of the security of the loan. It can take as little as 15 minutes to complete and is not designed to give you much information about the condition of the property.
We look at everything from the top of the roof to the bottom of the drains to give you the reassurance that your money will be safe. Where there are problems we will explain them in jargon-free language and tell you how serious they are.
Our survey reports are laid out clearly and simply, using photographs to explain what is going on, and avoiding those annoying caveats and exclusions wherever we can.
Our report, like our inspection, will be thorough and complete, and our aim is to help you make a clear decision about whether the property is right for you.
BCR provide a range of surveys, all conducted in accordance with RICS and RPSA requirements.
Client feedback from BCR clients:
‘Just coming back to you on this excellent survey. I have forwarded to my solicitor who is similarly impressed, and stated `”your surveyor has done a good bit of my job for me!”… …and thanks once again for an excellent report – really put my mind at ease, and you’re right – it does provide a road map on how to look after the property that will be relevant for a good few years.’
‘Just wanted to follow up to say thank you again! Having read through the report in more detail (more than once :)) this weekend it is very clear and incredibly thorough; as well as highlighting the issues you’ve taught us both a lot about the proper care of a home!’
‘We’ve been through the report thoroughly this week and don’t think we have any questions as you have explained everything so well!’
‘I just wanted to thank you for all your help and advice… all the photos in the report were very helpful.’
Jeremy Richardson – AssocRICS, RICS Registered Valuer, BA Hons, MRPSA, DRSV – BCR Surveyors
Courses & Awards
- RICS Registered Valuer
- Diploma in Residential Surveying & Valuation
- BA (Hons) History & Landscape Archaeology
- Understanding Building Conservation – endorsed by English Heritage
- Project Management and Supervision: Historic and Traditional Buildings
- Energy Efficiency Measures for Older and Traditional Buildings
- Repair and Maintenance of Traditional (pre-1919) Buildings
- Understanding Heritage Impact Assessments
- Member of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings
- Affiliate Member of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation
- Associate Member of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (AssocRICS)
- Member of the Residential Property Surveyors Association
- Member of the Weald and Downland Museum
- Your Surveyor
- Your Independent Property Adviser
- Bespoke Private Client Guidance – for buyers and sellers
- 40 years property market experience