Providing the most appropriate care for older and historic properties
Properties assessed include a range of buildings including those from the Georgian, Regency, Victorian and Edwardian eras; listed or without designation. Advice can also be provided on energy efficiency upgrades and damp prevention.
An understanding of a building is essential to help ensure its successful conservation and maintenance.
Old and historic buildings may have apparent defects which in fact have existed for many years without causing problems or, as is often the case, they may have been the subject of inappropriate ‘repairs’ which have actually impaired the fabric of the building. Make sure you seek advice so that you are able to care for the property to ensure its long term future and to provide you with a warm, dry and comfortable environment.
It is important that traditionally constructed buildings are regularly and routinely maintained using appropriate materials. A survey to assess the current state of repair provides an essential part of any tool kit.
More information about historic buildings and their conservation can be found on the following websites
- Institute of Historic Building Conservation – www.ihbc.org.uk
- Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings – www.spab.org.uk
- English Heritage – www.english-heritage.org.uk
- National Trust – www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- The Georgian Group – www.georgiangroup.org.uk
- The Victorian Society – www.victoriansociety.org.uk
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors – www.rics.org
- Churches Conservation Trust – www.visitchurches.org.uk
- Historic Farm Buildings Group – www.hfbg.org.uk
BCR provide a range of surveys, all conducted in accordance with RICS requirements: Helping you choose the right survey
Our survey reports can be provided in the following formats: RICS Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 Home Surveys, and RPSA/Sava Level 2 Home Condition Surveys and Level 3 Building Surveys.
Jeremy Richardson – AssocRICS, MRPSA, DRSV, CPEA, BA Hons – BCR Surveyors
Courses & Awards
- BA (Hons) History & Landscape Archaeology
- Understanding Building Conservation – endorsed by English Heritage
- Project Management and Supervision: Historic and Traditional Buildings
- Energy Efficiency Measures for Older and Traditional Buildings
- Repair and Maintenance of Traditional (pre-1919) Buildings
- Understanding Heritage Impact Assessments
- Diploma in Residential Surveying & Valuation
- Member of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings
- Affiliate Member of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation
- Associate Member of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (AssocRICS)
- Member of the Residential Property Surveyors Association
- Member of the Weald and Downland Museum
- Your Surveyor
- Your Independent Property Adviser
- Bespoke Private Client Guidance – for buyers and sellers
- Over 35 years property industry experience